ValpoNEXT Sense of Place Community Action Committee leader Thais Carter wants to learn what residents think is important about building community in neighborhoods. In this episode she speaks with ValpoNEXT coordinator, Kathy Sipple, about the new survey created by Carley Lemmon, Assistant Planner for the City of Valparaiso.
This survey is a tool to help capture the variety of neighborhood activities present in Valparaiso, as well as determine ways to measure this engagement. The Sense of Place initiative is tied to these actions, focusing on measures to name and brand neighborhoods as well as developing a “Love your Neighborhood” program. Carter then discusses a potential city-wide block party, and explains how this communication and connection between neighbors is an extension of civic engagement.
Valparaiso residents are invited to share their ideas using this link. << CLICK HERE >>
- Valparaiso has strong neighborhood identities, especially in historic and older neighborhoods.
- Creating a survey asking residents about the people and places that resonate in their neighborhoods and how they participate.
- Learn about the different things each neighborhood is active in.
- Create indicators to develop a neighborhood toolkit
- Sense of Place Initiative
- Naming and branding neighborhoods.
- Developing a “Love your Neighborhood” program.
- No matter where you live in the city, your neighborhood’s sense of place matters, too.
- Survey was created by Carley Lemmon, a Ball State graduate who has returned to Valpo in order to give back to her home.
- Trying to create a community-wide block party.
- Jesse-Pifer/Memorial neighborhood is an example of a neighborhood that is already throwing block parties.
- Create a template for a city-wide block party in partnership with the Park’s department.
- Take place at 5 parks throughout the city at the same time with food, music, and activities.
- Celebrate what it means to be a neighbor in Valparaiso.
- Build strong connections as neighbors and fellow citizens.
- Civic engagement
- Voting, showing up to meetings, etc.
- ALSO learning to know your neighbors.
- ValpoNEXT Twitter
- ValpoNEXT Facebook
- ValpoNEXT email list
- ValpoNEXT Twitter
- ValpoNEXT Vision Plan